November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month – Here are Some Facts:
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death
- Lung cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in both men and women
- More people die each year from lung cancer than breast, colon and prostate cancer combined
- Smoking is the # 1 Risk for Lung Cancer (80%–90% of lung cancers are attributed to cigarette smoking!)
- Non-smokers can get lung cancer too!
Risk Factors for Lung Cancer –
- Smoking Cigarettes
- Second Hand-Smoke
- Radon (2nd leading cause of lung cancer.)
- Other Chemicals (asbestos, arsenic, diesel, exhaust, nickel, tar, soot, some forms of silica and chromium.)
- Personal or Family History of Lung Cancer
- HIV infection
- Radiation Therapy to the Chest
- Beta-carotene supplements.
- Arsenic in drinking water (primarily from private wells) can increase the risk of lung cancer. For more information, visit the EPA’s Arsenic in Drinking Water.
How to Prevent Lung Cancer – For information visit Lung Cancer Prevention.
Prevention, Early Detection and Treatment Saves Lives!
Here is a Cancer Survivor’s Story – http://www.lungcancer.org/find_support/stories/23
Free Lung Cancer CT Screening – At Lahey Burlington and Peabody. Call 855.CT.CHEST to find out if you qualify or log onto = http://www.lahey.org/lungscreening/
Sources of Information and to Find Out More –
- American Cancer Society – http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/specialcoverage/how-acs-fights-lung-cancer
- American Lung Association – http://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/lung-cancer/
- Center for Disease Control – http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/basic_info/risk_factors.htm
- NIH National Cancer Institute – http://www.cancer.gov/types/lung/patient/lung-prevention-pdq#link/_AboutThis_13_toc
Do You Smoke Cigarettes …? NOW is the Time to STOP!!
Talk to you doctor about risks of lung cancer, prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Contact us for more information on how to make stopping smoking easier. You’ll be glad you did!
Stay Tuned for More on Smoking Cessation and Tobacco Treatment in Upcoming Blog Posts.
Stay Healthy and Be Well, Karen
Karen Pischke B.S.N., R.N., C.C.R.N. Alumnus. Certified Hypnotherapist, Tobacco Treatment Specialist, Usui Reiki Teacher/Komyo Shihan. Owner/Founder of Dreamtime Wellness™ Promoting Optimal Wellness for Body, Mind & Spirit www.DreamtimeWellness.com. Find us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreamtime-Wellness-/348619611849199
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated.