Lung Cancer Affects Non-Smokers as Well as Smokers
According to the American Cancer Society, approximately 80% of the cases of lung cancer deaths are linked to smoking cigarettes; that leaves 20% not linked to smoking.
Cigarette Smoking Remains the # 1 Cause of Lung Cancer.
Smoking is the #1 Cause of PREVENTABLE Death.
- There are different types of lung cancer. Smoking remains the main cause of small cell and non-small cell lung cancer. http://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/lung-cancer/learn-about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-fact-sheet.html
- Risks by Gender – While the risk of lung cancer deaths are higher in men that smoke (85%) than woman that smoke (70%), the risks for Lung Cancers in NON-Smokers is higher for women (20%) than men (8%.)
According to a report by the American Cancer Society (written by Stacey Simon,October 30th 2015,) “as many as 20% of the people who die from lung cancer in the United States every year do not smoke or use any other form of tobacco.”
Some Risk Factors for Lung Cancer in NON-Smokers –
- Radon gas. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers is radon gas. Like carbon monoxide, radon gas is odorless and colorless, and can’t be seen or smelled. You can easily test your home for radon.
- Secondhand smoke.
- Cancer-causing agents at work. (Eg. asbestos, chromium, diesel exhaust, and more.)
- Air pollution.
- Gene mutation –
According to the American Cancer Society –
- “Gene changes related to lung cancer are usually acquired during life rather than inherited.”
- A particular kind of gene mutation is much more common in lung cancer in non-smokers than smokers.
- “Acquired changes in certain genes, such as the TP53 or p16 tumor suppressor genes and the K-RAS or ALKoncogenes, are thought to be important in the development of non-small cell lung cancer.(http://www.cancer.org/cancer/lungcancer-non-smallcell/detailedguide/non-small-cell-lung-cancer-what-causes and http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/geneticsandcancer/genesandcancer/genes-and-cancer-gene-changes)
- Gene changes related to lung cancer are usually acquired during life rather than inherited.
- Acquired mutations in lung cells often result from exposure to factors in the environment, such as cancer-causing chemicals in tobacco smoke.
- Some gene changes may just be random events.
Talk to your doctor about risks of lung cancer, prevention, early diagnosis and treatment.
Sources and For More Information –
Lung Cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in men and women.
Prevention and Early Diagnosis and Treatment Saves Lives. Talk to your doctor about your risks, prevention, diagnosis and treatment for lung cancer. If you are ‘at risk’ for lung cancer, ask your doctor about available screening tests.
If you smoke, Stop Now. Ask your doctor about smoking cessation. Feel free to contact me for information. Stay tuned for more information on lung cancer and smoking cessation to be posted in the coming days.
Awareness is power. For better health, take an active role in your healthcare. ~ Karen
Karen Pischke B.S.N., R.N., C.C.R.N. Alumnus. Owner/Founder of Dreamtime Wellness™ Promoting Optimal Wellness for Body, Mind & Spirit www.DreamtimeWellness.com. Find us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreamtime-Wellness-/348619611849199
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated.