Did you Know?! Today is National ‘Eat Your Vegetables’ Day. This seems an especially good day to remind you to eat plenty of vegetables every day.
FUEL Your Body with Fresh Vegetables which are full of vitamins and nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C.
Some Benefits of Vegetables –
- High in vitamins and nutrients
- High in fiber.
- Low in calories.
- Meal plans rich in foods with fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
- Low in Fat and NO cholesterol (when eaten without sauces!)
- Help to maintain a Healthy Blood Pressure (See D.A.S.H Diet.)
- Part of a healthy, balanced meal plan.
- Vegetables (and fruits) rich in potassium as part of an overall healthy diet may lower blood pressure, and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help to decrease bone loss.
- May reduced the risk of certain types of cancer and heart disease.
- Vitamin A helps keeps eyes and skin healthy and helps to protect against infections
- Vitamin C helps heal cuts and wounds and keeps teeth and gums healthy. Vitamin C aids in iron absorption.