The Long-Awaiting Coming of Spring Begins Tomorrow!
As Joey mentioned, it’s time for the ‘Annual River Herring Count’ – April 1st – May 30th.
In honor of herring, here is information about their ecological importance and health benefits! Herring are –
- High in Omega-3, (healthy fatty acids EPA + DHA, which are considered important for brain function, eye health, and may help decrease inflammation.)
- Source of Vitamin D
- Considered to be lower in mercury levels due to their small size (Note: Pregnant women need to check with there physician regarding fish consumption.)
- Important part of the marine food chain.
- Harvested sustainably
- Extremely valuable to the fishing economy in Northeastern United States
River (Alewife and Blueback) Herring –
- Their health and well-being are a reflection of the overall state of the coastal ecosystem.
- Their count can represent the health of marine life, as well as any watershed problems (such as man-made alteration of the natural hydrology, and water pollution.)
Fishing for Herring – Join the Count! April 1st – May 30th.
To become a volunteer monitor and help efforts to protect this important species, contact:
Dave Sargent/ Alewife Warden @ 978-282-8018 – firstname.lastname@example.org
or Max Schenk @ 978-282-8025 – mschenk@gloucester-ma..gov
I don’t know about you, but I am craving some grilled herring as I write this! (‘Nishin’ is Japanese for herring.) – http://tokyostation-yukari.blogspot.com/2010/01/grilled-nishin-herring.html
Association to Protect Cape Cod. – http://www.apcc.org/herring/
Fisheries and Oceans, Canada – http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/education/lessonplans-lecons/whale-epaulard-eng.html
National Geographic – http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/fish-herring-wcani
Natural Resources Defense Council – http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
Happy, Healthy Spring to All of You! And May the River Herring be Healthy Too!
~ Karen Pischke B.S.N., R.N.
Owner and Founder of Dreamtime Wellness™ Promoting Optimal Wellness for Body, Mind and Spirit. www.DreamtimeWellness.com Follow us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreamtime-Wellness-/348619611849199
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated.