Thursday. November 19th. Great American Smoke-Out. STOP NOW!I know, you have heard it all before… But for those of you still smoking, maybe this time it will sink in! You Deserve to be Healthy!
And if you want to Stop Smoking, Help is Available to Make It Easier.
Know the Risks of Tobacco Use and Smoking –
- Cigarette smoking harms nearly every organ of the body
- Smoking Causes Coronary Artery Disease and Stroke
- Lung Cancer is the most preventable cause of cancer death.
- 80% of lung cancer deaths are related to smoking
- Besides lung cancer, tobacco use also increases the risk for other cancers; the mouth, lips, nose and sinuses, larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, uterus, cervix, colon/rectum, ovary (mucinous), and acute myeloid leukemia. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)
- In the United States, tobacco use is responsible for nearly 1 in 5 deaths; this equals about 480,000 early deaths each year. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014; and US Surgeon General Report 2014)
- Tobacco use accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths, causing 87% of lung cancer deaths in men, and 70% of lung cancer deaths in women. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)
- Smoking causes 8 out 0f 10 cases of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.) * 1 in 4 people with COPD never smoked.
- Smoking is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease and stroke
- Smokeless/Chewing Tobacco can cause heart disease, high blood pressure, and cancer of the mouth, tongue, cheek, gum, and pancreas.
- Second-hand smoke can harm others and increases your risk of lung cancer, heart disease and stroke.
THE GOOD NEWS – STOP SMOKING and –
- Decrease your risk of heart disease; benefits begin immediately after stopping!
- 2-5 yeas after smoking, your risk for stroke is decreased.
- 5 years after you stop, your risks for cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder drop by half
- 10 years after you stop smoking, your risk for lung cancer decreases by half
Sources, More Information and Help to Stop Smoking –
American Cancer Society –
American College of Cardiology – https://www.cardiosmart.org/Healthwise/hw79/682/hw79682
Center for Disease Control –
Massachusetts Department of Public Health – http:makesmokinghistory.org/quit-now
NIH/National Heart, Lung and BLood Institute –
Ask your doctor about your risks of and prevention for cancer, heart disease, and stroke. If you smoke, STOP. Talk to your doctor about ways to stop smoking.
You will be glad you did! Your children, and your grandchildren will thank you!
Smoking Cessation SAVES LIVES – STOP SMOKING TODAY!
Help is out there to make it easier. – STOP SMOKING SUPPORT:
In Spanish –
For More Help –
American Cancer Society – http://www.cancer.org/healthy/stayawayfromtobacco/guidetoquittingsmoking/guide-to-quitting-smoking-toc
Beverly Hospital/Lahey Healthcare – https://www.beverlyhospital.org/locations–services/health-services/lifestyle-management-institute/freedom-from-smoking
Center for Disease Control Information on Smoking Cessation – http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/quit-smoking/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA96CyBRDk5qOtp5vz8LkBEiQA6wx8MGpX8rsSAtD4YFUu2ebNsFGCH3-XtAFrR0maiYTOW0caAh9e8P8HAQ
Dreamtime Wellness™ – Contact Me for Information/Free Consultation. As a Tobacco Treatment Specialist, Hypnotherapist, and Registered Nurse working in cardiac risk reduction and behavior modification, helping people stop smoking has been a big part of my work. Individualized, one-on-one programs available. Mention GMG and receive 20% discount through the end of the year. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy Today in a Healthy Way, and Be Well, Karen
Karen Pischke B.S.N., R.N., C.C.R.N. Alumnus. Certified Hypnotherapist, Tobacco Treatment Specialist, Usui Reiki Teacher/Komyo Shihan. Owner/Founder of Dreamtime Wellness™ Promoting Optimal Wellness for Body, Mind & Spirit www.DreamtimeWellness.com. Find us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreamtime-Wellness-/348619611849199
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated.
Reblogged this on GoodMorningGloucester and commented:
For More Cape Ann Health, Fitness and Wellness News-