Thursday. November 19th. Great American Smoke-Out. STOP NOW!I know, you have heard it all before… But for those of you still smoking, maybe this time it will sink in! You Deserve to be Healthy!
And if you want to Stop Smoking, Help is Available to Make It Easier.
Know the Risks of Tobacco Use and Smoking –
- Cigarette smoking harms nearly every organ of the body
- Smoking Causes Coronary Artery Disease and Stroke
- Lung Cancer is the most preventable cause of cancer death.
- 80% of lung cancer deaths are related to smoking
- Besides lung cancer, tobacco use also increases the risk for other cancers; the mouth, lips, nose and sinuses, larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, uterus, cervix, colon/rectum, ovary (mucinous), and acute myeloid leukemia. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)
- In the United States, tobacco use is responsible for nearly 1 in 5 deaths; this equals about 480,000 early deaths each year. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014; and US Surgeon General Report 2014)
- Tobacco use accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths, causing 87% of lung cancer deaths in men, and 70% of lung cancer deaths in women. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)
- Smoking causes 8 out 0f 10 cases of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.) * 1 in 4 people with COPD never smoked.
- Smoking is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease and stroke
- Smokeless/Chewing Tobacco can cause heart disease, high blood pressure, and cancer of the mouth, tongue, cheek, gum, and pancreas.
- Second-hand smoke can harm others and increases your risk of lung cancer, heart disease and stroke.
THE GOOD NEWS – STOP SMOKING and –
- Decrease your risk of heart disease; benefits begin immediately after stopping!
- 2-5 yeas after smoking, your risk for stroke is decreased.
- 5 years after you stop, your risks for cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder drop by half
- 10 years after you stop smoking, your risk for lung cancer decreases by half
Sources, More Information and Help to Stop Smoking –