MAC Fitness JOIN FEE SPECIAL!
Mindful Self-Compassion can change your life.
Self-Compassion Takes Practice
Celebrating Valentines’s Day and Heart Month
“Loving Others Begins With Loving Your Self. Self-Love Begins with Self-Care.”
February is ‘Heart Month’ and Valentine’s Day is a great time to remind everyone to take good care of themselves. This month Dreamtime Wellness™ is focused on ‘Heart Health’ because heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. (http://www.cdc.gov)
YOU CAN Control Some of the Risk Factors, Such as –
- High Blood Pressure; when uncontrolled is the #1 Cause for Heart Disease
- THE GOOD NEWS- You can better control blood pressure through diet, exercise, healthy weight, relaxation and when needed, medication as prescribed by your doctor.
- Tobacco Use; Smokers are at 2-4 x the Risk for Developing Heart Disease (www.aha.org)
- THE GOOD NEWS – Within minutes of stopping smoking you experience health benefits! Contact us with advice on how to stop.
- High Cholesterol – levels are affected by affected by age, gender, heredity and diet. Recent news reports remind us that a diet high in saturated and trans fats that raises the unhealthy LDL cholesterol. (Good News for our local fishermen and lobstermen!)
- THE GOOD NEWS – You can help control your cholesterol levels through exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, and avoiding saturated and trans fats.
- Obesity – People with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher are considered obese. (www.aha.org)
- THE GOOD NEWS – By losing even 10% from your current weight, you can lower your risk of heart disease.
- Inactivity – Studies show that 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every week will reduce your risk of heart disease by about 30%. (www.world-heart-federation.org)
- THE GOOD NEWS – Regular, moderate physical activity helps prevent heart and blood vessel disease.
- Diabetes increases the risk of heart disease and stroke, If you have diabetes, it’s especially important to work with your healthcare provider to manage it and control any other risk factors you can.
- THE GOOD NEWS – The risks are lessened through healthy diet, healthy weight, exercise, relaxation and when needed, medication as prescribe by your doctor.
Notice, ALL of these risk factors helped through EXERCISE! On Cape Ann there are plenty of places to enjoy indoor and outdoor activity. We’ll be sharing more health tips on GMG in the coming days, weeks, and months. And local CSA’s help provide ‘farm to table’ fresh food. The Farmer’s Markets and http://www.farmfresh.org/food/farm are great resources for local healthy food.
For YOUR HEALTH, you can find more health tips, special promotions, and calendar of events on our Website (www.dreamtimewellness.com) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreamtime-Wellness-/348619611849199.)
Be Safe and Warm in the Coming Storm. Be Sure to Check on Your Elderly Neighbors!
Happy, Healthy Valentine’s Day Cape Ann! ~ Karen Pischke, B.S.N., R.N.
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated.