Get Your Sneakers and Hiking Boots On! Warmer weather is here to stay. Spring is a great time to get moving and get fit! Ralph Waldo Emerson said – The First Wealth is Health! No time like the present to begin focusing on Your Good Health!
Plenty of Exercise Opportunities on Cape Ann, indoors and outdoors!
If you haven’t been exercising all along or took the winter off, begin with a discussion with your physician and ask for safe exercise guidelines. Start where you are. Set goals. Gradually increase either intensity, frequency, or duration. (One at a time!) See safety guidelines for exercise below.
Best Cape Ann Beaches for Walking – Good Harbor, Long Beach, Wingaersheek (Gloucester) Singing Beach (Manchester-by-the-Sea,) and Cape Hedge Beach (Rockport/Residents Only Parking.)
* Cape Ann Residents Get Your Beach Stickers! Visitors – Prepare to Pay for Parking; Car pool, ‘park and ride’ or take the C.A.T.A. bus.
Walk or Run. Enjoy Cape Ann’s fresh air while you move your body to a healthier you! On your own or with friends. Goals Can Inspire and Motivate you. Train and Prepare for a 5 K (3.1 miles.)
- May 8th – Back Shore Gloucester 8K (5 miles)
- June 20th – Father’s Day 5K (3.1 mile) and 10K (6.2 mile) Rockport
- June 25th – Fiesta 5K (3.1 mile) Gloucester
- Sept 7th – Run the Goose* 7K (4.3 miles) (*Love Goose Cove!)
Information About Trail Hiking –
- The Essex County Trail Association – http://www.ectaonline.org/
- Team Gloucester – http://teamgloucester.com/
- Essex County Greenbelt Association/ – http://www.ecga.org/explore_our_properties/properties
- Manchester Essex Conservation Trust – http://www.mect.org/getoutdoors.html
- Mass Audubon – http://www.massaudubon.org/
- New England Forestry Foundation – http://www.newenglandforestry.org/find-a-forest.html
- Trustees of Reservations – http://www.thetrustees.org
My Favorite Hikes on Cape Ann – Dogtown, Halibut Point State Park, Ravenswood, Coolidge Reservation, and Many More! Fun for the Whole Family!
Remember to Exercise Safely! Check with your doctor before you begin an exercise program, especially if you haven’t been exercising or have a medical condition (disease.) Begin ‘where you are,’ and go from there. Always exercise within safe guidelines as prescribed by your doctor and any personal limitations you might have. *If you experience dizziness, shortness of breath or chest pain with exercise, stop and rest. If chest pain and/or shortness of breath continues – call 911! And even if it goes away with rest, follow-up with your physician to report and have it checked out.
For information on Safe Exercise –
Check With Your Physician. Ask a Fitness Expert for Advice!
Exercise Safely, Make it Fun and Enjoy the Health Benefits for Mind, Body & Spirit!
~ Karen Pischke B.S.N., R.N. Owner/Founder of Dreamtime Wellness™ Promoting Optimal Wellness for Body, Mind & Spirit www.DreamtimeWellness.com. Find us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreamtime-Wellness-/348619611849199
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated.