October is Awareness Month for Breast and Liver Cancer.
Did you know that there is a calendar signifying cancer awareness months? With more types of cancers than months in a year, multiple types of cancers are represented some months. Not all types of cancer are represented on this calendar. https://d2agz4bw2vcggl.cloudfront.net/choosehope/uploads/user/files/CA_Awareness_Calendar3.pdf
How many people face a diagnosis of cancer?
Here are some statistics from 2015 – http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@editorial/documents/document/acspc-044552.pdf Here you will also find information about ways to prevent and treat cancer, and good news about prevention and survival rates.
The Good News, According to the American Cancer Society –
- A substantial proportion of cancers could be prevented
- All cancers caused by tobacco use and heavy alcohol consumption could be prevented.
- Many of the more than 3 million skin cancer cases that are diagnosed annually could be prevented by protecting skin from excessive sun exposure and avoiding indoor tanning.
- Screening can prevent colorectal and cervical cancers through early detection and removal of precancerous lesions.
- Screening is known to reduce (death rates) for cancers of the breast, colon, rectum, cervix, and lung (with long-term and/or heavy smokers)
- Healthy Lifestyles (healthy weight, healthy nutrition, exercise, no smoking, minimal alcohol) can help prevent cancer
- Improvement in survival rates over the past 30 years reflects both the earlier diagnosis of certain cancers and improvements in treatment.
Prevention and Early Detection Saves Lives – Ask your doctor about ways to prevent, screen for, and treat cancer.
Mammogram Fact Sheet – http://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/mammograms-fact-sheet
What to Expect From a Mammogram –
Information about Liver Cancer – http://www.cancer.gov/types/liver/patient/adult-liver-treatment-pdq
A diagnosis of cancer and having to undergo treatment may cause anxiety and depression and effects families as well as patients.
Ask your doctor or nurse about ways to cope and deal with the stress of cancer diagnosis and treatment.
**Reiki may be helpful for decreasing stress and anxiety in patients receiving treatment for cancer. This study indicates a significant decrease in anxiety after a Reiki Session, and potential for improved comfort – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21998438
Read further for SPECIAL OFFERINGS at Dreamtime Wellness™ this October –