IN HONOR OF THE KENTUCKY DERBY!
REMEMBER! YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A MEMBER TO ORDER A SMOOTHIE!
COME STOP BY IF YOU’RE IN NEED OF A HEALTHY SNACK!
Spring is Just One Week Away! A welcome sight after the long winter we’ve had in New England. The mountains of snow are beginning to melt and signs of spring are finally cropping up.
Did You Make A New Years Resolution to Exercise? Have you been able to keep it, or has it gone by the wayside, like the ‘disappearing sidewalks’ that made getting around this winter more difficult? Even if you LOVE winter and winter sports like I do, the brutal winter temperatures made it difficult to get outside to exercise. Hopefully, you found your way to one of the many local gyms and fitness centers on Cape Ann and stayed on-tack with your exercise and/or weight reduction goals! If not….
The GOOD NEWS – You Can ‘Jump-Start Your Good Health’ ANY Time of the Year!
Many people in New England feel as if they’ve been living in a cave during this, the second snowiest winter. Time to Take Off Your Winter Mask and Start SPRING CLEANING for Your Health!
Spring is a good time to take a closer look at the goals you set at the beginning of the year and reevaluate where you stand with them. With warmer temperatures and more hours of daylight comes a renewed sense of energy and hope springs forth!
The World Health Organization (WHO) Definition of Health –“a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” www.who.int/about/definition/en/print.html
Spring Cleaning generally is thought of as deep house cleaning, clearing out the cobwebs, sorting through your closets. Consider also a cleanse of mind, body and spirit to feel younger and rejuvenated!
SPRING CLEANING for Mind, Body, & Spirit
- Sunlight Can Help Boost Serotonin, the brain chemicals that help you Feel Happy, Healthy and Well! Have you noticed an extra spring in your step since the clocks moved ahead? I know I have! Increased serotonin levels promote improved mood. (“Everything in moderation.” Unfortunately, while boosting serotonin and a source of Vitamin D too much sunlight can have risks. For sun safety advice – http://www.cancer.org/healthy/besafeinthesun/)
- Get Moving. Enjoy Fresh Air, Exercise, the Company of Family and Friends as you enjoy the beautiful beaches and conservation land of Cape Ann. Along with physical benefits, exercise helps you think more clearly and improves mood. For a list of Cape Ann Beaches – http://www.seecapeann.com/beach_article.html and other places to walk – http://www.thetrustees.org
- Healthy Eating. Enjoying a ‘Rainbow of Colors’ of Fruits and Vegetables allows you to enjoy a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and anti-oxidants. Fresh is Best! Check out local CSA’s (Community Sustainable Agriculture) and other local stores with fresh, locally grown and organic options.
- Get Plenty of Sleep. Your body recharges while you sleep. You think more clearly after a good night’s sleep.
- Think Positive! You have power over your own thoughts! Or, at least can train yourself to think more positively through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Self-Hypnosis. Choose Happy! Enjoy a Daily Attitude of Gratitude. Using a Gratitude Journal, list 3 things each day to be grateful This helps you to focus more on the positives, and let go of the negatives.
Resources for SPRING CLEANING for Mind, Body and Spirit –
- Boosting Serotonin Naturally – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077351/
- Spring Cleaning for Mind, Body & Spirit – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marie-pasinski-md/three-ways-to-spring-clea_b_841756.html
- Exercise tips – http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/tips-for-getting-exercise-into-your-life/
- Healthy Fruits and Vegetables – http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vegetables-full-story/ and http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vegetables-full-story/
- Importance of Sleep – https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/sleep-health
- Positive Psychology and happiness – https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/happiness
A Sure Sign of Spring – The Cape Ann Farmer’s Market is Back! Indoor Cape Ann Farmer’s Market Saturday. March 21st! 21st!http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Time—Dates-of-the-March-Madness-Market-.html?soid=1102513894265&aid=29Fkb0PWAYU.
At the Cape Ann Farmer’s Market you will meet friends and neighbors coming out of hibernation after the long, cold winter. Shop for local fresh produce and seafood, fresh-cut flowers and crafts. Along with natural soaps and salves to soothe your tired muscles you may find a chair massage offered. The Cape Ann Farmer’s Market is sure to bring a smile to your face and warm your heart! Enjoy!
Wishing You a Happy, Healthy & Peaceful Spring! ~ Karen Pischke, B.S.N., R.N.
Owner/Founder of Dreamtime Wellness™ Promoting Optimal Wellness for Body, Mind & Spirit www.DreamtimeWellness.com. Find us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreamtime-Wellness-/348619611849199
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated.